Part 3 of Why is This a Great Time to Start A Business?
Across the globe, people are quarantined, self-isolating, social distancing, or operating under ‘stay at home’ orders. This has left many people feeling isolated and alone. Just because you are self-isolating, doesn’t mean you need to be lonely.
Join other Changing Course fans on the Changing Course Facebook page to discuss what you’ve been doing with your time at home.
In Part 1 of this series, we discussed what you can do with any additional time you may have due to start a business.
In Part 2, we discussed ways that you can build relationships with your potential customers.
In this final piece of the three-part series, we will explore business opportunities created by the COVID-19 pandemic.
What issues or problems are people currently facing as a result of COVID-19 that a business can address?
Many people are making and donating masks for doctors, nurses and other health care workers and performing other volunteer acts such as food and medicine deliveries to vulnerable neighbors.
We encourage you to join these voluntary efforts, if you can, while also exploring potential business opportunities for people experiencing challenges. For example:
- People experiencing social isolation: Is there an opportunity to provide structured online activities for people who are feeling isolated? Could you create groups of people with similar interests and then organize online or phone activities for different days of the week.
While some people may be experiencing social isolation as a result of COVID-19, this is an ongoing issue that could use a long-term way to address it.
- People adopting animals to combat isolation will need assistance training their new companions and preparing them for a time when their new parents return to work. Here is how one animal trainer is helping people with new canine companions by offering free Homeschool the Dog training.
- Parents who are homeschooling could use online educational support. In addition, they are looking for structured online activities for kids outside of the homeschooling hours.
While students will go back to school, structured activities that are fun and keep youth occupied in positive ways is an ongoing need for many parents.
- People who are now cooking at home, who generally eat out, might enjoy live, real-time cooking classes, where they can ask questions as they prepare the meal of the day.
- DIYers with time for home projects could benefit from live classes on how to address common household projects or repairs.
While some of these things may exist on YouTube, people are looking for a way to connect to a live person and to be able to ask questions when they are unsure.
- Overextended healthcare workers who must still go to work and may even need to work extra shifts, may need a personal concierge who can take care of grocery shopping, laundry, and other necessities.
What products or services might essential workers need that you can provide or arrange for on their behalf?
- People who need extra income: One of the sad realities of the COVID-19 pandemic is the number of people who have been laid off or furloughed during this crisis. Some will return to work after the crisis is over and others will be looking for new ways to earn an income.
Are you good at brainstorming? Can you help people to brainstorm ways that they can make extra income or create their own income?
If you are interested in helping others to identify ways to create income, Changing Course will be offering the Profiting from Your Passion career coach training this summer. Add your name to the waiting list.
Texas Man Provides Critical Support During COVID-19 Crisis
A man in Texas is using his garage to make helmets that are used as an alternative to ventilators—a critical tool in the treatment of breathing problems and pneumonia resulting from COVID-19.
He was making the helmets prior to the pandemic, but has increased his production to keep up with the demand for the helmets by hospitals across the country.
He has offered to share the instructions on how to make these devices for free to anyone who wants to begin making them.
Have you created a business to address a problem resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic? Join the Changing Course Facebook page to share your ideas for how we can help during these difficult times.