How the “Penguin Lady” Turned Her Passion Into an Adventure and Income (And How You Can Too!)
In my 22 years as the Dreamer in Residence at Changing Course I’ve heard some amazing success stories.
But this is one of my VERY favorites!
Partly because, wildlife lover Dyan deNapoli already had her dream job.
As the senior penguin aquarist at the prestigious New England Aquarium in Boston, she got to work closely with these fascinating birds — both at her facility and in nature.
Then sadly, Dyan’s mother died.
My own Mom died unexpectedly at just 61 years old.
So, I know first-hand how wake-up calls can cause us to re-evaluate our lives.
After nine years at her job, Dyan had already begun to feel restless. And losing her mother just accelerated the desire for change.
She was still passionate about protecting wildlife – particularly penguins.
But Dyan now longed for the same freedom and flexibility she’d enjoyed during her days as a jewelry maker.
But how in the world do you become a self-employed penguin expert???
That was the question Dyan brought to the Work at What You Love workshop in Northampton, Massachusetts.
There, among some 125 other change seekers, is where the idea to offer interactive educational programs was hatched.
Most people talk about their business idea… they endlessly research and plan and tweak and perfect.
But they never begin.
Within days of the workshop she secured the domain The Penguin Lady and reached out to local schools, libraries, and senior citizen centers to book gigs.
And she never looked back.
Since then Dyan’s dream, her adventures, and her income have all grown in ways she could have never imagined.
- traveled to Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand, the Galapagos Islands, and South Africa to work with, teach about, and observe penguins in the wild
- appeared as an expert on numerous television and radio shows, including CNN and BBC Radio
- landed a six-figure book deal with Simon & Schuster (woo-hoo!)
- written the award-winning book The Great Penguin Rescue
- delivered not one but four – count ‘em – FOUR – TEDx talks!
- been a guest lecturer on nature cruises to Antarctica and the Galapagos Islands
- was selected to be one of 76 women scientists to take part in a leadership training program aboard a cruise ship in Antarctica
Dyan’s been doing some OTHER REALLY cool stuff — but I’m going to let her tell you herself.
And you’ll even get to ask questions!
Because… drum roll please!
Dyan is the first guest to appear in my new Dream Big – Start Small Success Stories Series!
How to Leverage Your Passion for a
Life of Adventure & Profits
With Dyan deNapoli AKA The Penguin Lady
In this inspiring and advice-packed webinar Dyan will share how she turned an unlikely interest into a life of adventure and income.
As importantly, Dyan will offer valuable tips for how you too can leverage YOUR passion for a life of adventure and profits!
And as an extra treat, I’ve also asked Dyan to share some of the spectacular photos from her most recent trip to Antarctica!
To your dreams,
Dreamer in Residence